Acceptive perspective


Still fighting the doldrums.  It's a weird situation, which I am trying to turn around by treating it as a learning experience.  How to combat stress...how to not freak out about things.


Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am happy.  Let me explain.  I think of true, substantive happiness as being attitude first and circumstances second.  Both, of course, but in that order.  Circumstances for me are not always perfect, but overall they are good. My attitude, on the other hand, often needs some reminding.

What does it mean to be happy?  For that matter, what does it mean to live?

So many lives revolve around us in the world.  I am awestruck by those who, by choice, stick to one path.  That's self-discipline.  (Where can I get that?)  The irony being, I am one of them already.  Naturally inclined to a single path.  Not too fond of change for the sake of change.  One more irony: I don't see myself that way.  In fact, I see myself as very prone to boredom.

Supposing you are at place - like now, for example - where you are unmotivated and discouraged.  It's not magic, but consciously taking time to adjust attitude helps a little.  I remember fondly a piece of 'anti-comfort' someone once told me, "You have lots to be happy about."  That will ring in my head ever-after.  It is true, of course.

For one, I am inexpressibly grateful I live in this time and place.  As often as college is a pain, I would rather go there forever, gladly, than live in a time/place where there is no option.  If I lived only a hundred years ago, what would I be?  Mostly likely, unhappy in circumstances.  And what have I done to deserve this privilege?

I try too hard, take too much for granted, in general.  There is something greater to live up to, and for better reasons.

Comments

  1. Dearest Marian,

    I could relate to this! And while there's no perfect magical solution, as you've said, I've found that prayer can help with motivation, focus, and perspective during the down times.

    I think this Bible verse brings comfort, especially when you're feeling extra stuck:

    "Likewise, the Spirit helps us in our weakness: for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words." (Romans 8:26)

    :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jade: I read your comment after the fact, but last night I said another prayer about this and woke up feeling much better. Thanks for your encouraging thoughts, and reminding me of this verse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‘I try too hard, take too much for granted, in general. There is something greater to live up to, and for better reasons.’

    Right there sums up a lot of my own troubles! Hoping you’re dealing with life well, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment