By definition

The next nine weeks are probably going to be the longest yet, of this longest year of college.  Between fast-paced classes, quasi-teaching, and 'social life' stress, there's plenty to occupy my time, and it saddens me to think that blogging will go by the wayside.  (Hopefully not.)

I just wanted to take a moment to digitally scribble some thoughts down, before all that happens.

Yesterday was the first day of summer.  That means spring is over.  Remember I used to talk about "surrendering spring"?  My seasonal affective disorder.   Well, I got through another year of it, and more than that, I did surrender spring.  All three previous years of college, I cried my eyes out at the end of spring quarter, because of seasonal depression, stress, and circumstances-related factors.  This year, thankfully, I did not have that cry.  I still had the same issues, but it was much easier to deal with.  It will never bother me so much again.

I've been thinking a lot lately about nervousness as fear, and fear as something conquerable.  For example, as a child I learned about God's omniscience and omnipresence, and I accepted that as part of Christian belief.  But just recently I started thinking consciously about what that means.  Do I really believe God is everywhere, and knows every detail about everything in the world, down to the smallest unit of matter?  Do I really believe He is with me every moment of my life? 

I believe this, and at the same time, I do not always live by it.  Just for a minute, I'll try to imagine what omnipresence means, and then I see how, in daily life, I have not thought or acted like a person who believes it.  Fear is natural enough, but so much of it could be eliminated if I took more time to be conscious of what I believe.  This is so seemingly basic, yet it could be a turning-point.

In math, they are always telling you to go back to definitions.  It's a good thing to do when you feel a little lost.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this. :)

    The simplest principles seem nearly always to prove the most difficult to practice. But I’m really glad you’re getting a better grip on this one! Fear is a loser.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment