Same and different


I surprised myself today.  I was at Starbucks, waiting for the bus; there was nothing to do, so I got out the notebook.  In twenty minutes or so, I had scribbled four poems and finished one started previously.  Typing them up this evening, a few things stood out to me:
  1. I've gone back to rhyme
  2. My endings are improving
  3. My tone has changed
  4. I'm writing poetry again. 
That empty-ish file "Poems3" is getting larger, slowly yet surely.

For me, poetry is more therapy than creativity, so maybe this should not be surprising.  If the first words come into my head, I want to write them down.  Usually, the rest follows.  If it weren't for feeling that need to write it, this would be a utilitarian process.  The truth is, the need propels me more than the wish does, and in that need are my best words.

* * *

In other news, I've been pretty tired lately.  The last couple of weekends I've stayed up on half-nighters finishing an Android app project.  Tomorrow is my recuperation day, just pulling myself together in time for Thursday's midterm.

Overall, it's been a splendid quarter.  Some experiences push you out of your comfort zone in a bad way.  In these three classes, it's been a positive thing.  I feel keenly (oddly) conscious I will look back happily on this quarter, in spite of its challenges.  I'll be glad to remember I programmed my first app, wrote decent C code, and heard some excellent lectures in my operating systems class.  It's good to finish up school on a good note.

Comments

  1. How nice that you are writing poems again! I also love that you are doing it for the need you described rather than because you crave to have a finished poem. During certain times in my life, that had been true for me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like poetry! It's awesome that you're writing again :)

    ashley-ashstash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. After I left you the above comment, I wrote a poem and enjoyed the process much more than I had in a really long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ashley! :)

    Jade, I'm so glad to hear that! Spur-of-the-moment writing is such a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. writing, poetry...., not talents everyone can.posses.... embrace them, enjoy them.... i love poetry so much, i wish i was.good at it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment